Pages

April 24, 2008

Many Hats

I am at a state conference today and tomorrow.   Today we had a speaker from North Carolina.  She spoke about "Natural Learning Environments: Roles of Therapist and Caregivers".   Sometimes it is hard to hold my head up, because I have so many different hats on at the same time.   I know we all wear many hats as mothers, daughters, sisters, friends, teachers, etc.    But sometimes it seems I'm wearing the team hats of opposing teams.

Hmmm....... let's see if I can explain it better.

I work with special needs children ------  I am a parent of a child with Down Syndrome.
I work in the public school system ------ I homeschool my child.

So, I find as I listen........ I juggle my hats.   

Today we seemed to spend a lot of time reviewing research and proving that children learn best in natural environments and if the learning is child directed, interest driven and parent mediated.   Hello? ....... that's called homeschooling.    

 I truly, truly feel privileged  be able to homeschool Nevin.   We have the freedom to pursue his interests.   We can learn in the natural environment.   And all learning is parent mediated.  And EVERYTHING is individually designed specifically for Nevin.

Not only that, but it's fun!   hard work....... but fun!   Nevin lives life with gusto, so we homeschool with gusto!

5 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I have to giggle...Yes, they were describing homeschooling. So, the question is, do you think the AEA would be upset if you shared that piece of information to all of your parents?

I don't know if I would have had the courage to homeschool my boys with out your support.

Cynthia said...

Laurie,

You give me so much to think about! We all start out with the idea that learning in the natural environment is the best for our child, and suddenly that changes on that 3rd birthday. We make it fun and interesting for our children, and then they must conform and do what everyone else is doing, and learn in the same way as well. When I go back to what I learned in the beginning, make it fun and interesting, my guy learns!

Thanks for all of your wonderful insights.

BTW, I think you wear your many hats very well!

Amy said...

This must be a very interesting position to be in!

I love hearing about how Nevin lives his life. Living and learning with gusto is my ideal learning/living environment!

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

I hope your conference went well! You've been tagged here. Enjoy!

Renna said...

"Today we seemed to spend a lot of time reviewing research and proving that children learn best in natural environments and if the learning is child directed, interest driven and parent mediated. Hello? ....... that's called homeschooling. "

That cracked me up!!! ;-Þ